Basic Candle Care
A great candle experience begins with proper candle care and maintenance. Here are some important burning tips for enjoying your Scentual Novelties Candle.
Keep the wick trimmed to 1/8 inch at all times.
We suggest trimming the wick every 4 hours of burn time. When wick trimming, you should always extinguish the flame, let the candle come to room temperature, and trim the wick to 1/8 of inch before relighting.
How to LOVE a Scentual Novelties Candle
- FIND YOUR FAVORITE. There are a few choices.
- TRIM THE WICK. Keep your wick trimmed to 1/8" at all times.
- LET THE WAX POOL. Each time you burn your candle, allow the entire top layer to become a fragrant pool of liquid wax and you'll get the biggest, boldest scent possible.
- BURN IT SAFELY. Always burn your candle on a heat resistant surface, keep it out of drafts and NEVER leave it unattended while lit.
- KNOW WHEN TO SAY GOODBYE. When only 1/2" of wax remains, it's time to let your candle go.
- REPEAT STEPS 1 THROUGH 5. Keep going until you've tried them all!
Use a wick trimmer for a perfect trim.
Here’s how to properly use a wick trimmer:
- Place the bottom of the trimmer flush with the surface of the candle.
- Rock the trimmer back so that the “elbow” now rests on the surface of the candle.
- Ensure that your trimmer is at a 45-degree angle to get the proper wick length. This will prevent the wick from being cut too short, causing the candle to burn improperly.
- Bring the two handles together to trim the wick. Discard the remnant wick before lighting.
Candles should not be burned for more than four hours at a time.
It is recommended that after burning for four hours, candles be extinguished, allowed to cool for two hours, and trimmed before relighting.
Follow the half inch rule.
Discontinue use of a candle when ½” of wax remains at the bottom of the jar. This will prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface or container itself. The glass can get hot on the bottom as the flame nears the base of the jar and most of the wax has been consumed. By following this instruction, the glass will not get too hot.
For safety’s sake.
Always burn candles well away from drafts, other heat sources, and anything flammable. Make sure burning candles are out of reach of children and pets. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
How to Store Your Candle Properly
The candle wax and fragrance oils we use in our candles are sensitive to both temperature and light, so please be careful when storing candles for an extended period of time. If you store your candle, be sure it is in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or intense light. Keeping it in a dark place like a cupboard or box will protect it from fading and discoloration.
Since our candles can be sensitive to extreme cold and heat, it’s best to store them between 50ºF and 85ºF. And be sure not to leave our candles in your car for an extended period of time (particularly on hot days) as they may melt or discolor. Extreme cold causes cracking and separation, so it’s best to follow our temperature guidelines. After long exposure to the cold, you should allow the candle to return to room temperature for a minimum of 2 hours before burning it to minimize potential damage.